Your success starts with how you dress and your posture—how you present yourself to others.You should dress as professionally as you can afford to dress.
At least dress to the level that suggests you can buy the products that you sell.
If you sell a $100,000 product you need to dress like you can afford a $100,000 product.
The more successful you look, the more successful you will be. People can get offended by a lot of things but they will never get offended by you wearing a suit.
White is great. A white shirt, a white blouse goes with everything. Stay away from trendy and cool.
Common mistakes salespeople make include:
- Wearing sunglasses—Sunglasses hide your eyes but you want to have clear, bright eyes your customer can look at. Trustworthiness comes with eye contact.
- Smoking—Even if your customer smokes, don’t do it with them.
- Eating in Front of the Customer—Save your snack for when you are by yourself.
- Bad Grooming and Hygiene—Have good breath and cut your fingernails. Have polished shoes and clean cuffs. Nobody wants to see your beat up, stained cuffs.
- Regardless of how you dress, your presentation depends on what you know.
I can put you in a $5,000 suit and if you don’t know anything, you’ll just be a $5,000 idiot
Back up your professional look with knowledge.
Go out and start dressing more professionally. You will become more confident because you will feel better about yourself.
But remember, self confidence is the only outfit you can’t buy it.
You must develop it!